Monday, July 6, 2009

Take-out tipping


One day during lunch, we called in a take-out order. I picked it up, just three salads. I distributed the change upon my return and one gal asked me what I tipped.

She scolded me when I told her I didn't tip.

(This was in TGI Friday's)

The bartender walked over to the bag, picked it up, brought it to me and rang in my order.

Why is a tip necessary?

I don't tip the cashier at the supermarket and she does more than Mr. Bartender did this afternoon.

Why not just tip everyone who's in the service industry so that all areas are covered?

I tip for service and I tip well. I was once a waittress one summer and Lord God I learned how to hate people. Just a hard, hard job. Some people think they can take out their horrid lives on the servers.

Uhm, no.

Why in hell would you be nasty to someone who is going to be alone with your food?

Idiots.

So I'm always tolerant and laid back in restaurants. Unless the server is rude. And then it's time to go. Otherwise, I'm pretty cool with the service.

But when I'm dashing in to pick up a take-out, why is tipping necessary? I don't begrudge it and I do absently toss money into the Starbucks block and the Dunkin' Donuts cups but mainly because I'm caffeine deprived more than appreciative of any 30 second service I received.

No comments:

Post a Comment